Thursday, 20 November 2008

Lemonade from Lemons: i get it . . .


In my profession I have to accumulate 30 hours of continuing education units every couple of years to keep my license. And as most of you also feel during our busy lives: time flies.

So I signed up for an ongoing certification program held at Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois. Over a twelve week period I attended a full day seminar every 2 weeks-- a total of 6 sessions. Unfortunately, from a professional perspective, this seminar ended up not being particularly helpful for my line of work. Theoretically, when all was said and done I would have a total of 40 hours or CEUs so I could skip out a day and still get my hours.

Having a house full of kids, I knew that if I tempted fate before the final session, I would likely have a sick child on the last date and then my strategy would have failed; I would have to pay for and attend more continuing education before March. When the last course date arrived, I had the option to skip.

I didn't do it.

Even though much of the information presented did not relate to my work, I decided to come for my final day for a few reasons. First, there was the possibility that the information presented on this day could be a bit more relevant and my inner "achiever" found it hard to blow off class. But mainly it was because of a connection I made with one of my "classmates." We hit it off on the first day of class. The Presidential election campaign was in full swing at the end of summer when our courses began. It was apparent on our first meeting that we were on different teams, but that didn't inhibit the connection we made.

Have you had that happen? Have you ever met someone, serendipitously, that made a surprising impact on your life? I'm reminded of the quote by Deepak Chopra:

“Whatever relationships you have attracted in your life at this moment, are precisely the ones you need in your life at this moment. There is a hidden meaning behind all events, and this hidden meaning is serving your own evolution.”

This also falls into a category of assessing occasions in our life as "everything happens for a reason."

So as I wind up the last day in this lengthy course and prepare for a lengthy drive home I prepare to say good bye to my class mate and partner in crime (clearly I'm typing this during the course so I wasn't always fully attentive) and embark on what will very likely be a lengthy friendship.

That, is what this adventure was all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment