Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Watching our 44th President ~ arrive



I've just heard Aretha and am now watching Biden being sworn in.

I hadn't had the opportunity to test this, but bawling like a baby hurts worse than laughing on a broken rib.

This is an amazing day.

I am so happy for the civil rights activists, the families who have lost loved ones to our unspeakable race war within this country that has gone so easily ignored to such a large faction, and for people like my 86 year old mother who have lived through and remember much of the pain.

I am so happy for all oppressed people that can feel a bit more hopeful today.

I am so happy for our children who have gotten such a wonderful example of how freedom and education and persistence and courage and perseverance and the ability to hold your head high and make the right choices makes all things possible.

Tis a gift to be simple
Tis a gift to be free 
Tis a gift to come back where we ought to be
And when we find ourselves in the place just right 
Will be in the valley of love and delight
When true simplicity is gained
to bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed
To turn, turn, will be our delight
Til by turning and turning come round right.

I hope the beautifully profound, yet simple, lyrics to the instrumental that is being played so breathtakingly as I write hold true as a testimony to the change brought forth by what I am witnessing at this moment.

And he is taking the OATH.  NOW.  

President Barack Obama has arrived!  The 44th President of the United States.

Welcome.  We've been waiting for you.

And if you have interest, check out this 1996 article in the New Yorker for an interview of Michelle and Obama.  Then.

No comments:

Post a Comment