Monday, 6 September 2010

I Love Gay





This morning I woke up thinking: I love Gay.  Mind you, I haven't always loved Gay, but that was only because I was young and ignorant and didn't know Gay.  I brought my children up to respect diversity and so they are lovers of Gay as well.  It was a bit disconcerting when my oldest went through a period of calling things "so gay" and it didn't always mean a good thing; of course I took the bait and admonished her with heartfelt lectures.  Soon after I heard a gay friend calling something "so gay," I decided to ignore my daughter's slips and sure enough, that "faze" passed quickly; she is the first to stand up for discrimination.  But why do I love Gay so, you may ask?  Gay to me means freedom and creativity and love and pride and strength and individuality.  Think about it. There are still a lot of closeted people out there and once a person has the balls to step forward and say, "hey, I'm gay," what else have they got to lose?  So out comes, not only their ability to live their sexuality, but their bravery, their passion about life, their ability to perform or create art, their hidden passions, their love and yes, their despise for seeing the oppressed further discriminated against, compassion, their connection to a divine that accepts them as they are, and FUN that can only come with not being constrained by societal norms and "shoulds." After all, if you've had to hold in a secret that you thought would cause you to lose your peace of mind, or maybe even your life if it came out, and you let it out, and survivewhat have you got to lose?  I love when coming out opens up the doors to let people be everything so many self-restricted Straights wish they could let themselves be: writers, performing artists, sports enthusiasts, lovers of life, simply themselves, real and true.  We can all learn from that bravery and the human potential that comes from being honest with ourselves and others. Right on Gay (GLBT).  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. You said it all Becky.... I couldn't agree more...that coming out and being yourself is a life changing event...only wish I had done it sooner. That is what small town upbringing does to you!! :( Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky, This brought me to tears! My son is putting together a "Campus Queer Collective" for his school and others to form, in his words "an Intense Queer Consciousness". He was amazed that every other minority was represented, but nothing for GLBT. I wonder endlessly how he grew up with his 'secret' and still managed to be such a bright and happy kid.. or was he?!?
    ~ Dena

    ReplyDelete