Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Reporting live from New Zealand~


early morning misty view from front of our house
I was so proud yesterday morning when I promptly sat down and whipped out a lengthy blog post.  Since my computer and internet have been acting a little sketchy in New Zealand I decided to write it in Pages first and then copy and paste it to my blog.  At the very end of my over 1000 word document my computer crashed.  Since my arrival in NZ I’ve had a few instances where the screen I am working on in my MacBook goes black.  Everything is locked up and I am instructed to immediately power down my computer.  I was hoping my brilliant MacBook and Pages program would auto save.  Au contraire. 

Bummer.

I spent that instant and snippets of the remainder of the day letting go of frustration and anger about how Apple had just stolen an hour of my life and decided to look at what the lesson might have been for me.  As I took my hour-long walk nestled between two ancient dormant volcanoes and observed the beauty I feel so lucky to have landed in, I pondered.  I felt that Spirit was giving me direction. 

Let. It. Be. 

I have a book to finish.  I have myriad folks and family with whom I want to stay connected; next to impossible without Facebook and the reason why I will continue to post my iPhone photos but will not have time or internet capability to peruse FB for time on end. 

I have the desire to have a document of this journey and the adventures that go along with it and will work out how to do that without sitting on my bum longer than I am standing on my feet every day. (but yes, I do have a first draft of a book to finish and I will not let my wishes for my bum get in the way of completing that goal before my dear husband arrives in 21 days) 

As writers we can be much like photographers : we can be so involved in documenting what is going on around us that we are not always experiencing what is going on around us (which is why although I love photography, I pretty much limit my photography to my iPhone and the occasional swiping of my husband’s state of the art camera). 

With this move we have the opportunity to make some concrete changes in our lives.  One of the ironies of NZ is that although moving here is a step away from hustle and bustle and a step toward a more simplified life it is quite clear that NZ is catching up to technology in a way that would make us able to become as plugged in and tuned out as we would care to be. 

And I don’t care to be. 

I will write but I can’t be so caught up in documenting my life that I forget to live it.

I will try to blog every week or so about this journey . . . or whatever I feel like.

So far the positives have been:
  • Atticus has adjusted better than I could have expected.  Allie, our neighbor, has taken him under her wing, he rides horses with her, gets on and off the school bus with her, he has slid right into Maungatapere school and loves it and apparently is doing well, “It’s just fun stuff Mom, no hard learning at all.”  His reading is already coming along by leaps and bounds.  He’s HAPPY.  (NZ's education is rated 5th in the world to US's rating of 22nd so we are expecting the best) We’ve chatted with Daddy and sibs on iChat and he has embraced this adventure.  He has started going barefoot, “I’m a New Zealander,” and correcting me with Kiwi accent, “No mom it’s pahk,” instead of park.  He brought home a very expressive Mother’s day card written in his own words and writing  that I treasure.
  • The natural beauty at every turn.  A volcano is my landmark for my home and I have a second one within view.  A beautiful ocean beach down the road and thousands more to discover. 
  • Kind and helpful friends and strangers.  A great friend, Caron, who spent much of her time last week showing me around.  A great support network for newcomer women: WINGS. 
  • A wonderful fresh, organic and ethnic grocery selection and weekly Farmers Market (the first to ever appear in NZ and brings in consumers from the city of Auckand!)
  • A great library that has a bistro—fancy that; a library built to be the social hub of the community. 
  • A bustling, active downtown.  Half the size of Springfield this downtown area is more alive than downtown St. Louis.
  • A town full of a disproportionate amount of artists and healers.
  •  Being introduced to Dawn Picken, an adventurous American mom that has transplanted herself and young children, for now, in NZ while exploring the world -- a trip that was precipitated by the tragic loss of her husband.  You can follow her journey here: http://pickendawn.blogspot.com .It’s great to have the connection and text pal with one that has gone (come) before me; she has been here 4 months.
Negatives:
So far Zero.  I’ll keep you posted on that but note that on this journey I am not looking for negatives and it is amazing the difference that can make in one’s perspective.

crepe stand at Farmer's Market-- yippee
'
fresh catches brought in by fisherman every week
Whangarei Farmer's Market
Ruakaka Beach on Mother's Day

Our angel, Allie, 
Dormant volcano over a million years old I see on my daily walk.  Maori belief is that the volcanoes are very spiritual/sacred.
A little friend that came to visit while I was writing this . . . a cousin to a chicken.  Or maybe a chicken?

No comments:

Post a Comment