Monday, 29 August 2011

all or nothing

Do you find there are areas of life in which you easily adapt "all or nothing" thinking?  It is listed as one of the ten cognitive distortions that cause stress, anxiety and depression (yes, I'm a psychotherapist),  I find with the writing of my novel I really adapted "all or nothing" writing. 


Today is the two week anniversary of the delivery of the big, bad semi-trucks that dropped off boxes and boxes of, uhm, stuff.  Our local hospice charity now knows us as we pull up to their back door for deliveries since packers packed mucho stuffo that we would never have shipped across the Pacific.


On the week one anniversary of the semi's arrival, or there about, my book was returned from an editor . . . marked up and ready for me to tackle the revision.  It is right here sitting in front of me, with a copy of Deepak Chopra's "Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" on it as if I really think the manuscript can soak up the positive mojo in that book.  Crazy.  


I am convinced that I will reward myself with my book revision when we are nice and neatly tucked into our main floor.  


We are almost there.  


I unpacked my "creative den" yesterday which is why I am allowing myself to sit at this desk and type this out.  Bedroom and closet to go and permission to revise will be granted.


All in all because of functioning in this manner I could have written my book in a month if I would have written in binge sessions consistently.  Certain tasks would have to be completed before I let myself write with abandon and most of the book was written in compulsive 5-10 hour sessions.  The cool thing about that, however, was that I would be away from the story long enough that it was new and fresh when I went back to it so I never got to a point where it felt stale or boring.


Those writing binges are a real high as those of you that write know-- during those hours the characters come alive and the journey takes twists and turns that you never imagined.  As a writer your adrenalin rushes and there is anticipation and excitement that no substance could ever replicate.


Now, it is the anticipation of that buzz of writing that keeps me going.  


And the plan is when the revision is done I reward myself with starting a new journey (ie story or book which is already baking).


Inconsistently yours . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment