Saturday, 20 December 2014

away for the holidays . . . distance between families Part 1.

Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Solstice, Cheerful Kwanzaa, Merry Christmas, Happiest of New Years . . .


At this time of year-- and throughout the year-- people express curiosity about the separation from family, as a result of our move to New Zealand . . . and how we handle it.  

And of course, during this season, the issue particularly comes to my mind as well.


There are times when I find my response might sound contrived; as if I am just trying to make the best of a difficult situation so I have put a request out to my three adult children asking them:


Wondering if you might appease me. Thinking for a blog post it would be interesting to post on long distance family relationships. Would you each please send me a paragraph on your perspective of how the distance has affected our relationships?Good/bad/or otherwise?

Yes, it's a risk to put that question out there-- especially with my outspoken trio-- but I hope that our experience can shed some light on the life of long distance families for others.


Having worked with people in human services for years, I can attest to the fact that relationships between parents and adult children are unique and many families struggle with their roles within these relationships.  


I can also comment on how many people do not follow their dreams or take a chance out of fear.  


What if's? 


Hopefully, this series will let you peek a bit deeper into the window of our experience.


And possibly allow you to think a bit more about your own.


Watch this space.



No comments:

Post a Comment