Thursday, 22 January 2015

Screw you New Year resolutions: Starting Fresh.


Happy 2015.

I reckon the New Year really doesn't start until February in New Zealand. 

With the combination of heralding summer AND the holidays AND school breaks, experiencing our fifth summer here, I can say that it's all a much bigger blur than in the states.  

And it's not because of dancing the materialistic shuffle commandeered by the likes of shopping and gift giving.

Largely responsible for the chaos is the mass exodus of the entire nation to the beaches for the ritual of reconnecting with families and friends. (that's another post)

Today, I want to talk about the New Year and I shared the above information to say that with the buzz of activity and energy during this time, I find it challenging to pause for my typical reflection on the year gone by and mindful planning of the year ahead.

Enter guru Jane Cunningham (who herself is magic-- click on the link to take a glimpse into her world and find her also on Facebook HERE if you want her magic in regular FB doses) who made mention of someone's work to check out for picking "your word" for 2015 and other help in looking at the year.

"Unravelling the year ahead 2015" is a free offering by Susannah Conway (click on name or title to get to that link).  

To say that I am finding this gift an invaluable tool that makes the space for some heart-centred planning and retrospection on life and living is an understatement. I highly recommend checking it out.

Last year I picked a theme for 2014-- it was "self-care." 

I cannot tell you how invaluable it was to have set that intention and how it gave me permission to look after myself without judgment (am i being selfish?  should i really take this time for me?). 

Doubts were vanquished because I mindfully set the GOAL of "self-care"-- not a passing thought or another "should," but a strong intention.

Some of the things my chosen words or intention brought in 2014 included me taking an in-depth online creative journaling class-- The Gifts of Imperfection-- with Brene Brown that was honestly worth 5 years of therapy AND had me playing with art-- a recommendation I had been ignoring for years.  

I made some sacred space for myself by joining the afore mentioned Jane Cunningham every week for a creative journalling women's group which has been moving and magical and a very meaningful addition to my life.

Knowing I was working on self-care, I was able to take centering or rest time when I felt I needed to, instead of pushing through, because I had to if I was going to be true to my intention.

And with an amazingly chaotic year of moving and renovation and sitting on a murder trial and other drama-- taking that time to explore what I needed to focus on and putting it in practice, I believe, saved me (and my health).

With an intention of "self-care" came a huge dose of self-compassion-- and can't we all use a bit more of that?

So I encourage you to take the plunge and use this generous free tool to REALLY come up with what your theme for growth is this year.

And I'd love to hear what you discover and what your word for 2015 is . . . 

I'll share mine in another post.

Oh, and the photo above is my current view for this writing day.  And the 2 teeny people up by the water are a 60 year old couple, who travelled the 32 hour journey from England, that have the room next to us.  Last night he stated, "Life's too short. We've had friends die unexpectedly. The time to explore is now.  You can't keep putting it off . . ."

Exactly.

The time to SELF-explore is now.

And let go of the "what? haven't i blown it already? the new year is less than a month old and i haven't followed my plan . . ."

Yes. I hear you.  Let go of that silly idea.

Every day starts a new year.

And a new you.

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHH breathing out with the grace ;-) and kindness in this honey <3 You so deserve to have a life full of exploration and joy - can't wait to find out what your word for the year is <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. and ps... thanks so much for the shout out <3

    ReplyDelete