Sunday, 25 January 2015

word of the year


If you read my post "screw you New Year resolutions", I'm staying true to my word and sharing the word I chose for 2015.

BELIEVE

Last year's journey with the words "self-care" in the forefront proved to be a deal-changer and beamed me to a more confident space of guiltlessly caring for myself appropriately.

"Self-care" must now be tattooed betwixt lobes in my brain.  I'm sure it would show up on a MRI-- no we didn't find a tumour but you have a giant SELF-CARE emblazoned on your frontal cortex.

And maybe it's how this "choose a word for the year" thing works.  

We can change our life--for good--one word at a time.

Our word becomes part of us.

Part of my journey last year also included exploring the concept of "career" for me.

In 2013 I had an enriching year of teaching counselling at the local college on a temporary placement. While the students were lovely and the work rewarding, as I ventured out into agencies supervising students on placements, I was met by the woeful message of seasoned practitioners lamenting that there really weren't jobs for the future students. The field was going down. How can you really be putting more counsellors out there? And since the program has closed.

As enlightened as New Zealand is in so many ways, it is not holding space for the field of counselling/psychotherapy/family and couples therapy, etc.

To keep my US licensure and certification I stay involved in continuing education. Having attended "coaching" courses before for continuing ed, I decided to attend a coaching certification course and found it to be a very enriching experience, personally and professionally; the biggest gift was walking me through a process of honing in on what it is I really want to do professionally.

That's when my 2015 word began to surface.

Having stranger-in-a-strange-land-itis, I can easily get wrapped up in, "who am I to come in to a new country and offer my services . . ."

Americans aren't always seen in a positive light here due, in part, to the reputation of the US consistently telling smaller countries how they should be running their countries, while seemingly not looking in their own back yard.

As I went through the process of intention setting and exploring what I feel I could give back the word BELIEVE kept resurfacing.

Yes, in capital letters.

But it's not just about concrete career-like thoughts.

BELIEVE, for me, is about trusting my inner voice. 

It intertwines with last year's "self-care" theme: BELIEVE that it serves you AND those you love to take that bit of extra time to self-care.

I had to embrace BELIEVE before I could practice self-care, but I realised there were many other areas of my life where I needed to believe more.

Doubt and second-guessing myself resurface?

Inhale BELIEVE.

Exhale confidence.

My word of the year is my friend. 

My catalyst for growth.

My companion.

What's your word for the year?

1 comment:

  1. Hello! My name is Jennifer Wolfe and I work on a very popular international travel series that documents adventurous individuals’, couples’ and families’ experiences as they make the decision to move abroad. This series is a great opportunity to tell your story and share more about what you like/dislike about your new home. If you think that you or someone you know could be a fit for the show, or if you’d like to get more information, please contact me at JenniferWolfe@LeopardUSA.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete